Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Waterworks Wednesday: Thought It Was Plastic


"It read "Break Glass in Case of Emergency." Amare must have thought 0-2 to the Miami Heat was an emergency."

"It wasn't the Heat, it was just stupidity."

"Season: Extinguished."

These are some of the catchiest snip-its written about Stoudemire's... 'predicament.'
(It is notable that the NY Post's headline was quite lame, reading "Bloody Idiot."...Come on guys. They just lost to the Heat... He punched a fire extinguisher... Couldn't take that anywhere else?)
I digress though from Waterworks Wednesday. As outlandish and brainless of an action punching/slapping/hitting a fire extinguisher installed on a concrete wall really is, I must admit, I kind of have Amare's back on this one.
Witnesses of the incident and Amare himself have stated that, the NY Knicks player did not wind up and punch the glass; rather, it sounds as though he back-handed the casing with a closed fist.
Here is how Stoudemire explained the incident today:
"It wasn't like I has a closed fist and just punched through the glass. It was nothing like that. I just walked by, wanted to make some noise, swung my arm, hit the fire extinguisher door and didn't even realize I was cut at all... Then I saw the cut... Unfortunately after games, when it's very passionate, things happen. You don't expect..to injure yourself, but you've just got to deal with it."
If the sequence of events really went down like this, I sort of feel badly for Amare's poor decision which resulted in some really bad luck. I am impressed with Amare's ownership of his mistake, and I believe his apologies are heartfelt.
On this Waterworks Wednesday I want to applaud Amare for not playing the "cry me a river" card, and offer my condolences to the NY Knicks, who may now, not be able to put out the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment